If there are problems with how this email is displayed, click here to view it in a web browser
Ivan Stenius, SMaRC (far left), among others at the preparations for WARA PS. Photo: Magnus Johansson/Linköping University
SMaRC tested autonomous sea rescue systems in practice
SMaRC took part in the demonstrations at Gränsö Manor within WARA PS, the WASP arena for public safety, in September 18–19. The demo scenario contained autonomous and collaborating rescue vessels in the water, unmanned underwater vessels and flying drones.
More about WARA PS and the demonstrations on smarc.se
Christopher Iliffe Sprague (back left) and Ignacio Torroba Balmori (back right) from SMaRC, together with PhD students from Southampton. Photo: Deep Sea Productions/MMT
PhD-students from SMaRC explored remarkably preserved Renaissance vessel
In the spring of 2019, a research team found an intact shipwreck in the Baltic Sea. The team was aided by SMaRC doctoral students.
More on the expedition on smarc.se
New presentation material about SMaRC
- "Automated Underwater Pipeline Damage Detection using Neural Nets", Jiajun Shi, Wenjie Yin, Yipai Du, John Folkesson, Conference paper, August 21, 2019
- "High-resolution bathymetric mapping reveals subaqueous glacial landforms in the Arctic alpine lake Tarfala, Sweden", Nina Kirchner, Riko Noormets, Jakob Kuttenkeuler, Elias Strandell Erstorp, Erik Schytt Holmlund, Gunhild Rosqvist, Per Holmlund, Marika Wennbom, Torbjörn Karlin, Article in journal, September 3, 2019
- "Machine Learning for Inferring Sidescan Images from Bathymetry and AUV Pose", Zitao Zhang, Master thesis, July 10, 2019
- "Object Recognition in Forward Looking Sonar Images using Transfer Learning", Louise Rixon Fuchs, Andreas Gällström, John Folkesson, Conference paper, May 7, 2019
More SMaRC Publications on smarc.se
SMaRC in Media:
- "KTH-doktorander undersökte skeppsvrak från 1500-talet", kth.se, September 16, 2019 (in Swedish)
- "SMaRC thinking: Sweden's research centre builds underwater robotics capability", Jane's International Defence Review, September, 2019
- "A Shipwreck, 500 Years Old, Appears on the Baltic Seabed", New York Times, July 22, 2019
- "Antarktis glaciärer smälter underifrån", SVT Nyheter, June 11, 2019 (in Swedish)
More media articles on smarc.se
SMaRC Autumn Events 2019:
You have received this email since you are involved in or connected to Swedish maritime research and/or innovation, or since you have subscribed to our newsletter.
If you do not want to receive this kind of information, please unsubscribe here.
© 2019 SMaRC